User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Midi Mapping for Remote Host Recording »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 19th, 2024, 10:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Questions and Discussion
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Midi Mapping for Remote Host Recording
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Midi Mapping for Remote Host Recording  (Read 1761 times)
gmcerveny

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

Midi Mapping for Remote Host Recording
« on: Nov 5th, 2002, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am attempting to use midi yolk / midi ox to record midi movements made by a generic remote host setup in cubase 5.1r2

When you setup a midi port to control the remote host, cubase will now dominate that port.  I want to create a midi track that will send commands the remote host port will be able to hear.  

To test if this idea would work I setup Midi Yolk Junction 1 to be connected to IN on my USB keystation.  I twisted knobs and presto it moved in cubase.  

I then  set Midi Yolk Junction 2 to also serve as an input for Midi Yolk Junction 1. Then I created a track in cubase to send data out on Midi Yolk 2, but it does not control the remote host.  I've fiddled in a variety of ways, but i'm not sure waht I'm missing.
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: Midi Mapping for Remote Host Recording
« Reply #1 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 1:41am »

Please folks, it's MIDI Yoke: it's not an egg  Smiley

Quote:
I then  set Midi Yolk Junction 2 to also serve as an input for Midi Yolk Junction 1.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me?  Can you say it in a different way?  You need some sort of application (like MIDI-OX or Cubase) to attach MIDI ports together using MIDI Yoke.  MIDI Yoke is just like a patch cord.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2002, 1:41am by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

gmcerveny

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 2:32am »

Remote Host:

In Cubase the remote host allows you to hook up an external midi control surface for control of the virtual mixer.  This allows you to use midi sliders and knobs to control things such as channel volumes, effect paramaters, pans, etc.  

When you set up Cubase to use a remote host on a midi input, for all other purposes it stops interacting with that input, because it is now dedicated to controlling the virtual mixer.  

Cubase has a built in feature that allows you to record and replay these movements (the read / write option on the mixer).  

Cubase limits the automatable paramaters of insert and send effects to the first 16 paramaters.   Although, you can set the remote host up to allow a midi knob to control these paramaters, you cannot set cubase up to record and replay these messages if they are not in the first 16 paramaters.

That is why I'm looking for a work around.  I would like to automate paramaters beyond the first 16.

I hypothesize that since these paramaters can be controlled by my midi controller with no problem that there is a way to transmite midi data from cubase on midi yoke 2, have midi ox receive the information, and patch it to midi yoke 1, which cubase will receive as remote host information.  

Now i've set my midi controller up to patch to midi yoke 1, and that controlls the remote host just fine.  The problem i'm having is how to set it up so that I transmit on midi yoke 2, and it comes back in as midi yoke 1.

Here are a few pictures...

this is a chart I made of how I believe cubase remote host acts.

http://www.djgm.com/cubase/rhost.gif

this is a screen shot that shows the settings of the remote host.

http://www.djgm.com/cubase/host.gif

this is a screen shot that frustratingly only shows 16 editable parameters.  

http://www.djgm.com/cubase/audiomix.gif
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2002, 1:12am »

Thanks -- I am beginning to understand.  

Quote:

The problem i'm having is how to set it up so that I transmit on midi yoke 2, and it comes back in as midi yoke 1.  

So you open MIDI Yoke 2 as Output in Cubase and MIDI Yoke 2 as Input to MIDI-OX?  Then you map in MIDI-OX.  The next step would be to open MIDI Yoke 1 as Output in MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke 1 as input to Cubase.  Have you tried this?

I will be away for a few days, but perhaps someone else could help too.

IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.