User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - midi yoke with sibelius »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 18th, 2024, 2:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI Yoke
   MIDI Yoke NT
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   midi yoke with sibelius
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: midi yoke with sibelius  (Read 2325 times)
pc4me

MIDI-OX Rules!

midi yoke with sibelius
« on: Sep 15th, 2008, 12:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have sibelius 4 and I want to use it with midiyoke, but I really don't know how to do tha and how to link it to other software.
Can someone please explain it to me? Huh
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

Re: midi yoke with sibelius
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 6:08pm »

MIDI Yoke is "virtual MIDI cable".

Normally a MIDI application is connected to physical MIDI ports.  A software instrument would receive requests to play notes on an Input port.  A software sequencer would send requests to play notes to an Output port.

If you want to connect a software sequencer to a software instrument, you need to send to an Output port from the sequencer ... down some virtual MIDI cable ... to an Input port on the instrument.

So that's where MIDI Yoke comes in.  It provides a number of cables (you can configure how many) for connecting between software applications.
IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
pc4me

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2008, 1:04pm »

Thanks, I do understand that, but I have some other questions:
I am able to connect it to sibelius and another midi software for the sound, but somewhere it's going wrong, because I don't get any sound. I think it could be that I'm using the wrong software, does anybody know a program for example(maybe free) that I can use and that certainly works?
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16th, 2008, 2:21pm »

Nothing ever "certainly works" with computers -- they are almost infinitely adaptable, so have a similar number of failure modes! Smiley

There's also an almost infinite variety of software you can get for turning MIDI into sound.

You'll need to provide more details on your set up: what hardware are you using (soundcard, external MIDI devices, external audio devices, a bit about your PC specification), what kind of sounds do you want to make?
IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
pc4me

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16th, 2008, 2:40pm »

okay,
this is what I know:
I use Sibelius 4. I already had Microsoft GS wavetable software.
But as you know the sound is very bad. I also have kontakt player silver, so instruments like drum and piano are quite good.
I'm specially looking for better guitar sounds, not only acoustic, but also electric. I tried this with guitar rig 2 and midi yoke, but it didn't work. I think that's all the information I can give. I you want to know something extra, just ask me and I'll answer. Smiley
I hope it helps

P.S.: I don't know if you have noticed it, but I'm not English, so I don't know if my English is correct. Wink
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17th, 2008, 2:47pm »

I hadn't noticed you weren't English -- you're doing fine! Smiley

If you've had Sibelius working with one application through MIDI Yoke, then there's no reason it won't work with any.  It doesn't sound like you have a problem with MIDI Yoke itself.

The software documentation may explain how it responds to MIDI.  But that's really all I can suggest.
IP Logged

pc4me

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19th, 2008, 12:56pm »

could you tell me what software you used? Than I could try it with that program. If that doesn't work I know it something with my computer. I it does work, it means I have a problem with the software.
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19th, 2008, 4:51pm »

I generally use MIDI Yoke as a way of connecting MIDI OX (which is connected to external hardware MIDI controllers) to sequencers (MU.LAB, Reaper) where I host VST plugins (Kontakt2, anything really).  You shouldn't need to host the plug-in, though.

I've got something like this:
[Keyboard MIDI Out] -> [PC MIDI In] .. [MIDI OX] .. [MIDI Yoke Out 1] -> [MIDI Yoke In 1] .. [MU.LAB {mda Piano}]

You want something like this, I think:
[Sibelius] .. [MIDI Yoke Out 1] -> [MIDI Yoke In 1] .. [Kontakt Player]
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.