User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - PLEASE HELP-MIDI YOKE, LOGIC, & SIBELIUS! »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 18th, 2024, 8:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI Yoke
   MIDI Yoke NT
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   PLEASE HELP-MIDI YOKE, LOGIC, & SIBELIUS!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PLEASE HELP-MIDI YOKE, LOGIC, & SIBELIUS!  (Read 1291 times)
Peter

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

PLEASE HELP-MIDI YOKE, LOGIC, & SIBELIUS!
« on: Jan 8th, 2003, 4:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cool Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm new to Logic, Midi Yoke, and even Windows.  But here's the deal:  I'd like to set up Midi Yoke so that I can compose my notation on Sibelius, and then have the notes play back directly through a Logic Audio Instrument-like with some great samples in the EXS24.  As I understood it, this would require setting up Sibelius as the master and Logic as the slave, or going from a Midi Yoke output in Sibelius to a Midi Yoke input in Logic.  But I'm getting completely confused with the fact that I'm dealing audio instruments that plug in as inputs on the tracks in the audio environment.  I tried the above suggestions in the clicks/ports environment (deleting the cable connected to the summed inputs of the physical input and connecting it to the specific Yoke Port input I'm using and routing it directly out to the sequencer.  But I'm thinking that might be for using Logic as the controller as opposed to the slave?  I'm just very confused and am dying for some tips on this matter.  Man, it's frustrating.  Thanks in advance,
Peter Embarassed
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: PLEASE HELP-MIDI YOKE, LOGIC, & SIBELIUS!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:47pm »

When talking about MIDI, Master and Slave refer to synchronizing 2 devices or applications via MIDI Time Code (MTC) or MIDI Sync, in order for them to playback synchronously.  Pressing Play in the Master starts itself and the Slave at the same time, and Stop halts playback.

It wasn't clear that this is what you are referring to?  If it was, you need to find out whether Sibelius and Logic both support either MIDI Sync or MTC.  You'll need a protocol that they both support.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:47pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Peter

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 2:20pm »

Undecided  Sorry; I think I was using the wrong terminology.  I don't just want an MTC sync, so that if I press play in Sibelius then Logic will play, or vice versa;  specifically, I'd like to use Logic as my sound source and Sibelius as my controller.  The closest analogy I can think of is hooking up a controller keyboard to a sound module-simple-just one cable from midi out of keyboard to midi in of sound module.  The software equivalent would be Sibelius as the 'controller' and Logic as the 'Sound Module.' So that the notes I write on the staves in Sibelius will play back with the sounds of Logic's ESX24.  Sorry about the miscommunication.  If anyone knows how this can be done w/Midi Yoke, I'd appreciate a response.  Thanks.
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:44am »

If you choose MIDI Yoke 1 as your output device in Sibelius, and MIDI Yoke 1 as your input device in Logic, you may get what you are looking for.  Is there a problem when you try this?
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:44am by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Peter

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

Tried, but no success-where did I go wrong?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 12:01am »

This is actually what I set out to do in the first place, and what I tried to do.  In sibelius, I selected Midi Yoke 1 as my output and my synth as the input.  In Logic, since it's not as straightforward as selecting some sort of global in and out (at least as far as I could see), I assumed it had to do with the clicks and ports environment layer.  So I went there, deleted the cable attached to the sum input of the physical input object, replaced it with a cable attached to the Midi Yoke 1 input, and routed that cable to the 'thru & record' object.  But that did nothing; I couldn't find anything on the arrange page related to the Midi yoke input, whether I click-held on a particular midi track or on selections in the parameter box-nothing.  I was basically looking to somehow select midi yoke 1 as the input for a particular midi track or audio instrument track.  So, I then decided to create an audio object IN the CLICKS & PORTS environment (probably a stupid move, I don't know); I made the object an audio instrument, routed the cable from midi yoke 1 input of the physical input to the audio instrument, and then a cable from the a-inst. to the recording & thru object.  But everything got all jumbled and confused-all the outputs of my MT4 interface were lit up; Sibelius kept on saying it couldn't find a playback device, and both programs kept crashing. At one point, I think I somehow managed to set up an audio instrument attached to the Midi yoke 1 input with the EXS24 and the desired sample program, but Logic did not play back the notation from sibelius.  So I just gave up.  So-any ideas as to where I went wrong?
     Thanks,  
   Peter Angry
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 9:53am »

I think someone with knowledge of Logic Audio needs to help here.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

ikke

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 3:36pm »

how do you get logic to work using midiyoke? Every time ,after installing midiyoke on my winXP, Logic wont close after opening it.
thanks a lot
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 12:53pm »

I don't own Logic, but a MIDI Yoke user wrote in with some suggestions.  They are contained in the FAQ on the MIDI-OX web-site (right here):
LOGIC FAQ

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2003, 12:53pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.