User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  Ā« MIDI-OX User Forum - working with Orion pro and Cakewalk using Yoke Ā»
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 19th, 2024, 6:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI Yoke
   MIDI Yoke NT
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   working with Orion pro and Cakewalk using Yoke
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: working with Orion pro and Cakewalk using Yoke  (Read 1759 times)
handheldsound

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Email

working with Orion pro and Cakewalk using Yoke
« on: Dec 25th, 2001, 11:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there.
I am trying to record VSTi's opened in Orion Pro onto Cakewalk using Midi Yoke with no success..
What is the procedure of doing that?
I tried everything but i always get the feedback message and there is no sound...
Any thoughts?
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: working with Orion pro and Cakewalk using Yoke
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2001, 2:33pm »

If you are getting a feedback message, I can guarantee that you have a MIDI loop somewhere in your configuration.  More importantly though, why are you trying to record the MIDI information in Cakewalk?  It would seem to me that you'd want to record the digital audio output of the VSTi's?  MIDI information makes no sound of it's own -- you have to have a synthesizer or sampler at the other end of the MIDI stream to hear anything.  I would think you would need some sort of virtual audio cable for recording digital sound.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

handheldsound

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2001, 2:44pm »

Embarassed
Hi there and thenks for your reply.
First of, I even get feedback messages while only opening up cakewalk and setting it up to send and recieve through midiyokeNT port #1.... where is the feedback loop then?

Second, I know MIDI data has no sound.. I am more confortable sequencing outside of Orion Pro that is why I wanted to do it in Cakewalk and then record the digital output while playing it back in cakewalk.
Make sense?

I tried working with Midiyoke on W2K and tested it on 2 different machines using Orion and Cakewalk, and Orion and Master Tracks pro, with same results.

What really puzzles me is that I get feedback warning even if I just open my sequesncer and set it up to work with MidiYoke..
Am I doing something wrong here?

thanks in advance,

Eitan Teomi
handheldsound.com
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2001, 12:12pm »

on Dec 28th, 2001, 2:44pm, handheldsound wrote:

Embarassed
Hi there and thenks for your reply.
First of, I even get feedback messages while only opening up cakewalk and setting it up to send and recieve through midiyokeNT port #1.... where is the feedback loop then?

That will absolutely cause a feedback loop.  From the FAQ:

MIDI Yoke is not a normal driver!   It is a like a MIDI Patch Cable: it takes any data that shows up at its MIDI Yoke Output port and spits it out of its MIDI Yoke Input port!  This seems to be really counterintuitive to people, but it's the only way that it can work as a patch cable.  MIDI Yoke is used to attach different MIDI applications together -- it links them via MIDI.  

This also means that you should never, ever, open the same MIDI Yoke port number as both input and output within a single application -- it is suicidal to do so. When this happens, any MIDI message sent to the output port is immediately routed back to the input port, which is then sent out the output port and immediately routed back to the input port... I think you get the idea: MIDI Feedback!  This all happens very, very fast (at interrupt time), and if it is not stopped, your machine will appear to be hung, or crash.  MIDI Yoke attempts to detect this condition and will break the connection when it is detected.  

The bottom line is only open either the input or output end of a particular MIDI Yoke port in Cakewalk, not both. Open the other end in a different application.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2001, 12:15pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.