User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Clicks n pops in XP »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 18th, 2024, 2:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI Yoke
   MIDI Yoke NT
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Clicks n pops in XP
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clicks n pops in XP  (Read 1524 times)
Irdial

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Clicks n pops in XP
« on: Dec 18th, 2001, 9:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've installed Yoke in XP Pro and am running it with a MidiMan AudioPhile 2496 through the S/PDIF digital ins and outs. Having installed the yoke, I get pops and clicks when I play audio. This is especially apparent when playing from within Propellerheads Reason.  

I've upped the buffer within Reason which eases the problem, but its still pretty bad. Any ideas what causes this and how to get around it?

Many thanks!

Will
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: Clicks n pops in XP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2001, 12:55pm »

This is the first I've heard about this happening.  I can't fathom how transferring MIDI data internally could affect Audio, but perhaps it has something to do with increased resource/cpu usage?  Are you sure that you don't experience this without MIDI Yoke NT attached?
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Irdial

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18th, 2001, 2:55pm »

Yep, absolutely sure. I can uninstall it and audio is suddenly fine, with no pops, as before!

IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2001, 12:23am »

In that case, maybe your best solution would be a hardware loop-back: acquire another MIDI interface, and physically attach a MIDI cable from the input to the output.  In the first application open the MIDI output port and in the receiving application, open the MIDI input port.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

TrOn

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2002, 4:12am »

I have the same problem and I know what the deal here is.

After you select Midi Yoke in Reason as your Midi In (Reason Sequencer) the priority of the program (Reason) is changed to "High" (dunno why, but I think MidiYoke does this) and that's why the cracks start.

Now you have to change the priority back to normal manually (goto TaskManager, CTRL+ALT+DEL, right click on Reason.exe process and set priority to "Normal"). This has to be done everytime you start Reason for the first time. It's anoying and I would like to know, if this is gonna get fixed.
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 1st, 2002, 11:54am »

Thanks for the information.  MIDI Yoke does create a thread for its own use from each applictation that opens it.  To reduce the Class and/or Priority you can edit the registry.  All the normal warnings about registry editing apply.

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\MYokeNT\Parameters

There are 2 relevant values:
   ThreadClass    - 0 = Normal Priority Class, 1 = High Priority Class, 2 = Realtime Priority Class
   ThreadPriority - 0 = Normal Priority, 1 = Above Normal, 2 = Highest, 3 = TimeCritical

If High Priority Class  is a problem, you can reduce it to Normal (0).  You'll need to reboot before any changes take effect.

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2002, 12:02pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

TrOn

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #6 on: May 3rd, 2002, 5:46pm »

Great, it works! Thx a lot! Smiley

I had to set both the class and the priority to 0 (normal) for it to work. Now when I select MidiYoke port, the priority stays normal and there are no cracks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.