User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Understanding per-routing mapping files and editin »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 8:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Understanding per-routing mapping files and editin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Understanding per-routing mapping files and editin  (Read 2307 times)
jdeacon

MIDI-OX Rules!

Understanding per-routing mapping files and editin
« on: Jul 17th, 2020, 9:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anyone clarify when you use MIDI OX's Data Mapping editor, what exactly it is that you are editing, saving, loading, etc.?

Up until now, I haven't been using the little box that sits in the middle of a routing line. But since getting an APC Mini (that I'm not using with Ableton), I've started using that little box's Mapping File factility.

I now realize I don't know what I was successfully using and editing before I used per-routing mapping files.

How does the routing's mapping file interact with what you load into the mapping editor (Options|Data Mapping)?

If I want to edit the mapping that a routing is using, it seems I have to clear the Data Mapping editor (Translation Map) load the mapping file the routing is using, edit it, save it, and then reload it to the routing. Is that right? Is there a more direct way?

Thanks.
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: Understanding per-routing mapping files and ed
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2020, 8:49pm »

Hi
Can anyone clarify when you use MIDI OX's Data Mapping editor, what exactly it is that you are editing, saving, loading, etc.?
I shall try to.

Up until now, I haven't been using the little box that sits in the middle of a routing line. But since getting an APC Mini (that I'm not using with Ableton), I've started using that little box's Mapping File factility.

Using the the mapping in the box on the routing line applies the Data Mapping you picked (the oxm file) to be applied ONLY to any Midi coming along that routing line.
You can have different Data Maps on different routing lines.

I now realize I don't know what I was successfully using and editing before I used per-routing mapping files.
How does the routing's mapping file interact with what you load into the mapping editor (Options|Data Mapping)?

A Global Data Map. When you have an active  Data Map like this (make sure you click the 'Turn Map On after OK') it is applied to all routing lines EXCEPT if there is a Data Map on a routing line.
Everything that goes 'through' MidiOx gets the DataMap treatment before it goes out to the Midi output (you can see it happen in the Monitor-Output window)

If I want to edit the mapping that a routing is using, it seems I have to clear the Data Mapping editor (Translation Map) load the mapping file the routing is using, edit it, save it, and then reload it to the routing. Is that right? Is there a more direct way?

Whatever you leave in the editor when you close MidiOx will be there when you open it up again and you can edit it by either hilighting a line and clicking the EDIT button or double clicking the line.

NOTE that you can have one or many lines as needed.

Hope this helps - keep the questions coming

Stay well
Royce
IP Logged
jdeacon

MIDI-OX Rules!

Re: Understanding per-routing mapping files and ed
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2020, 2:40am »

on Jul 17th, 2020, 8:49pm, Breath wrote:

A Global Data Map. When you have an active  Data Map like this (make sure you click the 'Turn Map On after OK') it is applied to all routing lines EXCEPT if there is a Data Map on a routing line.
Everything that goes 'through' MidiOx gets the DataMap treatment before it goes out to the Midi output (you can see it happen in the Monitor-Output window)

Royce

Brilliant. Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.