User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Where does windows store it, anyway? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 8:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   General
   Desktop Icon Save and Restore
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Where does windows store it, anyway?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where does windows store it, anyway?  (Read 1784 times)
technogirl

MIDI-OX Rules!

Where does windows store it, anyway?
« on: May 19th, 2008, 7:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Did you find out, while you were writing this, where windows stores the desktop icon location? I mean, is it in a file like desktop.ini or is it in registry values, or what? No one seems to know.
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: Where does windows store it, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: May 23rd, 2008, 5:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No, I haven't figured out where Windows stores it, but I did figure out how Windows hosts it: Explorer treats the desktop like a large List View control in report mode (with no scrollbars).  If you get a handle to the Desktop SysListView, you can use standard ListView access methods to see where the icon are or move them around.  Of course, you also have to be running in the same process as Explorer (this is why Desktop Restore is a ShellExtension), or use alternative techniques to share memory with Explorer.

[Later...]  Since you asked, I poked around the registry, and think I have the likely area where it's stored:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

Look at one of the binary blob values set to your current resolution.  For instance, on mine it is named, "ItemPos1680x1050(1)".  I have others for "ItemPos1280x960(1)" and "ItemPos1024x768(1)".  It looks like both ascii short filenames and UNICODE long filenames are stored as well as other stuff (position? ...)
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2008, 5:28pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.